Sunday, July 31, 2011

Up Rooted

Almost 6 months ago our family moved to the "country". It's not really the country. It's more of a large land mass about 15 miles from the town we lived in, but for this city girl, it feels like the country. There is so much that I love about living in the country. I love watching our boys use their imaginations exploring the yard and building forts and hideouts. I love seeing them learn how to garden and grow some of the food we eat. I love the way they are learning about nature and how to explore uncharted territory.

And even though we moved to the country to have room for the boys to run and move, I have found that I am really enjoying the country for me. I love the easy going life. I love going out to the garden and gathering the food we will eat for dinner. I have been out berry picking every other day and although the thorns are terrible and I have very scratched up arms, there is a peacefulness out in the warm evening, gathering treats from God's garden. We have turned the berries into a cobbler, jam, and delicious ice cream. I am finding such joy and accomplishment from making things. We have made our own laundry soap and I am making my own hand soap as soon as the store bought kind has run out. It is amazing to create things that we used to spend a lot on and now with a little work can spend pennies on.

It's funny. I used to get fiction novels at the library. The last time we came home from the library, I had books on gardening, making good dirt, and raising chickens. Yes, we are contemplating chickens. I am reseaching compost and how to make the best stuff. I am looking on our property for the best chicken coop site.
Life has changed. But the change has been good. I like who I am becoming in the country. I am braver. I am willing to try more. I am more industrious. I am busy, but I am having a wonderful time.

No comments:

Post a Comment