Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Whose kids are those?

Have you ever not wanted to claim your kids? I did today. Today was our weekly trip to Target and I splurged and got the boys each their own snack. Josh has a runny nose and I am trying to not spread it around the house. Anyhow, Josh has this terrible habit of when he is done with his food, he throws it on the ground. We don't condone this behavior. He is reprimanded and yet he continues to do so. I know you can probably see where this is going, but I will tell you anyhow. So for the first time ever, Josh had his own icee. It was cherry and a lovely shade of red. He was doing fine with it, he was looking at things as we passed by until he was done. I was browsing a clearance endcap, when Josh made it clear that he was done. Icee meets floor and what looked like a small amount left in the cup, was the Red Sea on the floor at Target. So there I was on my hands and knees, asking God to multiply the 5 napkins that I had gotten at the beginning of the trip. Praying for a miracle to be performed that the five napkins would somehow soak up the red sea and that no one would pass by while I was crawling around on the floor. But you know what, people did pass by, and you know what else, I lived and my kids are still alive too. From now on, I will not look down upon the mom whose kids are out of control in the store, for she is probably praying for a miracle of her own. I have walked in those shoes and felt the embarassment that kids can bring. The moral of the story is, if you pass a mom with crazy kids, before you turn your cart in the opposite direction, give a smile or say a prayer for her. She may need it more than you know.

1 comment:

  1. I praise you for being so brave. You are an inspiration to me, a woman with just one child, sometimes embarrassed when he doesn't "act the way I want". It's alright and we aren't alone.

    Last May I was the park for a pre-school graduation for a friends son. After the ceremony the kids where playing. In the learning process of potty training I always on the look out for the potty. I told Hunter we would head over to the potty and then head over to Funderland in just a few minutes. I let him run with the other kids for just a moment. When I looked over he had his pants around his knees peeing in the middle of the park. I was horrified. I ran over to him....let him finish (not much I could do mid stream)..pulled his pants up and tried to explain to him again...to wait for the restroom. A few of the 100 graduation attendees noticed the event. One couple in particular where in dire hysterics. I was not. The "gentleman" who was laughing so heavily walked over to me and gave me a grin, "Don't worry about it, my son did the same exact thing last year."

    ReplyDelete